Re: [Harp-L] Session Steels? Don't buy!

Thanks, Gary. I've become a big fan of Suzuki Promaster and Bluesmaster harps (which have the same reedplates, I think). They have lovely, even response and generally need little or no work out of the box. And they last and last! They don't come in low tunings, which is why I resorted to the hitherto much-praised Session Steel low D. As I've heard very little adverse comment about them but have had negative experiences myself, I thought it appropriate to speak here as I find. I suppose there's still a small chance that I was the victim of a bad batch, but in fact I bought them separately and had to wait a while for the second one to arrive at the store. The point is that I've become very good at making harps last me a long time (I have a Hohner MS Blues Harp in C that gets used every time I go out, which is every week, and the covers haven't been off it for at least 12 years, and my low F Oskar has been going, trouble-free, since the turn of the Millennium). So believe me when I say that I don't make these criticisms lightly.

Thanks for the interesting suggestions, Rex, which I'll take on board. I don't have issues with second or third positions. I suppose I've become rather used to working around good ol' Paddy Richter, but I shall experiment. I might have to, as I definitely can't afford those Thunderbirds.