Re: [Harp-L] tuning octave harp

Hi Brian,

A reed's pitch is affected by the environment in which it is played,
including the geometry of its reed cell, the embouchure of the player's
mouth, the pitch of any other reeds in the airstream, and the temperature
of the harmonica and ambient air. A reed mounted on its reed cell and
played by mouth will usually play some degree flat of its plucked, or
natural frequency, so fine tuning should be done after the reedplate and
comb are assembled.

If two reeds are tuned in a perfect octave the higher one can get somewhat
lost in the sound of the lower, so the octave is stretched a little to give
it an edge, but not so much as to cause the two reeds to beat.

Best regards,
Rick