Re: [Harp-L] Joe Filisko

Mick Zaklan wrote:
>   Probably the best written piece I've seen on Joe Filisko.  Also the only
> time I've ever heard Joe's approach to the instrument criticized by
> anyone.

First, it's nice to see a piece on Joe that emphasizes his skills as a player and teacher, as opposed to a customizer.

Second, the "criticism" accounts for a very small part of the article, and what it basically says is that the person issuing the criticism would prefer that Joe devote less of his attention to traditional styles.

I'm reminded of what Stravinsky said about Bela Bartok in 1959, years after Bartok's death. "I never could share his lifelong gusto for his native folklore... I couldn't help regretting it in the great musician."  Didn't seem to hurt Bartok's rep much; if anything, the statement made Stravinsky seem petty and envious.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)
Twitter: lightninrick