Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 21:43:48 -0700
From: Ross Macdonald <pdxharpdog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] What would Charlie Musselwhite do?
To: List harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi, I am meeting with our record producer for our new album next week for pre-production.  This new album will have a Tom Waits-like feel to it with few instruments and will have harp on most tunes.  Something like his Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards record.  I know that Charlie played most of the harp on the record (John Hammond played some too).

One of the tracks on our record is a slow but swingy 50's kind of private-eye thing in E minor.  I am Ok doing this in 3rd position on a low D harp,  but not at all in 4th position on a G harp.  If I am being honest, once you get past 1st, 2nd and 3rd position I am basically a bit lost. Do the pros generally default to 3rd position as the go-to position for minor tunes?  Is it worth learning 4th position for more than just changing it up on a minor tune?  Is there a fourth position tutorial out there on youtube i could study?

What would Charlie default to on a E minor tune?  Im thinking whatever position the harp would be played in,  it would need some tremolo and reverb to get the mood I think it needs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ross Macdonald