RE: [Harp-L] New Member Introduction

Welcome to the group.

When I was first dealing with developing basic chops--which is where you are at--I fell under the sway of two blues recordings which featured lots of blues harp: Big Walter Horton with Cary Bell  and, also, Muddy Waters Live at Mr. Kelly's (Paul Oscher on harp).  I listened to those two recordings incessantly.  I figured out which key harps I needed for every song.  I wrote down the song keys and appropriate harps to be played in 2nd position on the album covers.  I attempted to play along with each song, mimicking licks, tone, fills and phrasing as best I could.  Hours and hours and hours I played along with each tune of both of these recordings.  Sure, I listened to other stuff, but I used those two recordings as my foundation.  In retrospect, I realize that I could've stumbled upon other recordings to use for inspiration, but I'm happy that I spent so much time with both of those recordings.  This was....the mid-to-late '70's.  Later, I heard Big Walter frequently and also heard Muddy in Chicago venues--making it more real for me.  To this day, I listen to each of these particular recordings with special reverence and I've come to know a lot more about the background and circumstances of each of these releases.  I think the work I put in to understand these two sets of tracks helped with tone development.

My advice: learn the blues language, immerse yourself in quality seminal recordings, eventually branch out and discover the wide range of influential artists, hear live harp when you can.  Especially, though, I would suggest that you choose a couple of recordings that feature harp which speak to you--go with something which has tunes at a medium tempo--and lock yourself in a room for a long time as you get inside the head of the harp player.

Enjoy!

John