[Harp-L] Don't Get Around Much Anymore

   I've owned the Big Walter version for many years and I notice it's on
YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSDp1W0_EkU.   .
If I'm covering something, I usually try to do it in the key most people
have heard it in.  I think this one was written by Duke Ellington as a
feature for alto saxophonist Johnny Hodges.  So the "hit" version sounds
like C#/Db to my ears.  If you ran into some jazz players at a jam, they'd
probably want to do it in that key.  And since Mr. Hodges is one of the
greatest jazz (and blues) players of all time; you would do well by
listening to his phrasing and ideas.  Personally, I'd probably want to
borrow more from Hodges than a harmonica player.  If I was attempting it on
chromatic, I'd stick the button in and play it C#/Db.  That's just me.
   Awhile back, we had a discussion on this list about the usefulness or
uselessness of a low F# harp.  I'd argue that this is another example of
why a diatonic player might want to own one of the new low-pitched Hohners
in the key of F#, if it was available.  You could cover this
particular tune on diatonic in cross position and play along with Duke
Ellington.

Mick Zaklan