[Harp-L] Review: X-Reed Harmonica

I recently bought an X-Reed harmonica (www.X-Reed.com), in the key of A.  I'm absolutely delighted with it.

This diatonic harp provides all the chromatic notes in all three octaves using "ordinary" bending technique.  The extra notes are much easier to play than overblows and overdraws, sound more like "classic" 2-reed bends than a valved harp (because they are), and the X-Reed harp delivers them all, out of the box.

The "feel" of the notes is slightly different from my old war-horse Special-20s, as if, perhaps, there is just a bit more resistance to the air going through.  And unamplified, it isn't as loud as my 20-reed diatonic harps.  Every harp is different, though, and I believe that this one will reward a somewhat gentler playing style than my current usual.  There is room for me to grow with this harp, and this is not a flaw in the harp.

Beginners who are just learning how to bend might not get all the notes right away.  Intermediate players who can play draw bends and blow bends consistently should love it.  Out of the box, 2-draw on my X-Reed harp was more airy than the other notes, and I have cautiously adjusted the gapping on the active reeds in that chamber to make it more consistent.  There is a helpful insert that acknowledges that gaps might need to be readjusted occasionally, and it provides good diagrams and explanations for doing that.

The harp I bought has standard Richter tuning, an aluminum comb, and full embossing, which is X-Reed's top-of-the-line offering.  I figured that if I was going to spend the money, I wanted the best X-Reed has to offer.  I like it so much that I will soon be ordering two more, in the keys of C and D.

I tried a recumbent bicycle, once.  It was fun, and looked cool, but it turns out that you still have to pedal the darn thing.  Likewise, the X-Reed harp doesn't play itself.  But it comes very close.

This is the harp I've been waiting for.

Elizabeth H. (aka "Tin Lizzie")