Re: [Harp-L] New James Cotton cd

diachrome@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
<Had a chance to listen to James Cotton's new Cd on the Alligator website http://www.alligator.com/albums/Cotton-Mouth-Man/ and it <sounds strangely like he is playing through an amp modeling pedal. The tone of the harp has that compressed sound inherent in <pedals like the Digitech. What do you hear? amp or digital emulator? Not that it really matters. I just feel like starting a <thread. I was listening to it through a pa connected to my computer.

"That compressed sound inherent in pedals like the Digitech"?

I thought we were past this nonsense about amp modelers having a weird sound that makes them instantly distinguishable on record from a "real" amp (you know, the kind of amps that grow from special Amp Trees somewhere in the natural world).  Amp modelers don't have an "inherently compressed" sound any more than amps do.  (and of course, tube amps happen to compress whatever sound is put through them.  But never mind.)

In any case, by the time an instrument has been recorded, mixed, and mastered for a commercial release, it's usually been through 2-3 stages of compression and/or limiting at a minimum.  Don't blame it on the amp modeler.

Thanks, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick