Re: [Harp-L] Key of E

Tony,

In blues, use of the key of E is common, at least if you let the guitar player pick the key. Differences may apply depending on the needs of the singer. I keep multiple spares on hand when I am gigging in the keys of A, C and D. F is another common key to use because it crosses to C. I don't carry spares of F, but I do carry both F and low F, so I could manage. (I really love low F because you can do some neat rhythm work with it...)

BTW, you would generally use the A harmonica to play an E blues.

FWIW: Most 10-hole pocket harmonicas are designed to play a diatonic major scale. You've heard that a million times as do-re-mi-fa-sol-la-ti(-do). Now, in music, there are one or more scales that go well with any given chord. The scale that goes best with the basic blues chord is diatonic major started on the fifth note of the scale. (This is called the mixolydian mode of the diatonic major scale.)

Now, forgetting all that useless info, what you really need to know is this: When they tell you the key they are going to play in, you count up to the fourth note of the diatonic major scale for key and then use that harmonica.

Example: If someone says, let's play in E, count E = 1, F(#) = 2, G(#) = 3, A = 4. Use the A harp.

Have fun.

-LM
BTW, you can play the diatonic major scale without knowing how to bend the tone. To hear the scale, start on hole 4, and blow then draw on holes 4, 5 and 6. On hole 7, you draw then blow.