Re: [Harp-L] Neck Injury

Elizabeth (Scotty) wrote:
There could be a bit of a connection in the way you hold the harp--i.e. if
you grip very hard unconsciously while playing/holding your head and neck
in a  stiff, unnatural position. The only way to really tell is to take your
instrument to your Doctor's office and have him/her evaluate you while you
play... <clippage>

Muscular tension is the enemy of any musician.

There is another way for a musician to identify and release muscular tension while playing any musical instrument before getting to the point where you need to enlist a physician's help. Back when I was trying to learn to play guitar I discovered a very useful exercise as taught by NY classical guitarist, Jamie Andreas (I've since given up on playing a guitar).

The technique Jamie teaches is one he calls, "posing." To use this technique to identify muscular tension you simply stop playing at a random point in a tune or a practice session, hold your exact body position, muscular tension and all, and then examine your body for any areas of that tension. When a tense muscle is found, you then concentrate on relaxing it. Once that muscle is relaxed, you can resume playing.

You resume playing and then you stop again at a random point in your practice session. Over time you learn to incorporate this technique into your playing and eventually learn to do it without actually stopping playing. It's actually quite similar to the advise I received back when I studied Transcendental Meditation in which deliberate relaxation is key (yup, I'm ~that~ old :-) ).

In addition to helping with physical stress when playing it also helps you develop your tone and general relationship with your instrument. You learn to stop "fighting" it.

Works for me. Might be worth a try for y'all.

Thanks,

Michelle