From: Robert Rowe <robertrowe2@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, May 12, 2013 10:31 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] When Did Fast Become Good?

When did we develop the mindset that playing at breakneck speed was the
hallmark
of a good player?  So often I'll hear a player rip through a run of 1/128th
notes and the audience cheers like it was the second coming of Christ. It
doesn't seem to matter that the pitch , timing and intonation was terrible.
Fast
= good. I caught the bug ala Eddie Van Halen when I learned to shred my
electrics. The poor janitor was sweeping notes up off the floor for days
when I
got done.

Now, in my old age and wisdom, I appreciate a tune played at a reasonable
pace
so that you can hear the tone of the instrument, the nuances applied by the
artist, the perfect pitch and timing. It reminds me of a quote attributed to
Miles Davis; "Learn to play the silence."

Kelly