[Harp-L] Re: fake book sale

Wikifonia does claim to adhere to copyright laws (from its FAQ):

Wikifonia aims to supply sheet music in a different way. Unlike other sheet music websites, it offers
Improved musical and visual quality. Numerous websites offer sheet music of poor quality: text files, incomplete sheets, no notes, etc. For musical quality, Wikifonia relies on you. Once registered, you can easily alter erroneous or incomplete sheets, through our simple and transparent collaboration scheme. As for visual quality, Wikifonia uses a vector-based rendering process to generate your sheet. This implies high-quality pdf's, and no pixels (check out the zoom!). Sheets, just like you want them to be.
A legal framework. A lot of sites are now being closed because they don't provide remuneration for the copyright owners. In a way, sheet music you downloaded or published on these sites is endangered, and might be off-line soon. Through a contract with copyright holders, Wikifonia commits herself to pay a fixed amount per sheet per month, so as to ensure that the original artists get their share. This legal framework we consider necessary for the durability of our commitment: collaborating on sheets with you.

and from Wikipedia:

Development

The Wikifonia system was developed in a collaboration between several institutes of higher education in Ghent (Belgium). March 2005 the researchers of the project received the Creativity to Business Award from AUGent (Ghent University Association).[1] The system went live on 6 November 2006.[2]
[edit]
Copyrights

The Wikifonia system aims at the creation of music, the publication of public domain traditionals, and the publication of previously copyrighted music.
Music published on the Wikifonia website is licensed by Musi©opy, a music copyright clearance organisation based in the Netherlands.[2] [3] The actual rights are paid for by the Wikifonia foundation, a non- profit organisation founded in July 2006.[4]