[Harp-L] Don Les on Youtube

What a great discussion this great player has started.

I agree with Rick about arpeggios, and the fact that they are often overlooked by diatonic players, even very good ones.

So. Here is a challenge. Take out a diatonic, and, in first position, play the arpeggios for the following chords, over two octaves:

I, II, III, IV, V, VI

Then, again with two octave arpeggios, try the following 1st position combinations:

I, IV, V, I
I, II, V, I
I, VI, IV, V, I
I, III, IV, V, I

No overblows needed.

How did we go? Despite much practice over the years, I still struggle with these.

Now then. Put a metronome on it. How fast before you fall off? Again, I'm in the "more work needed" category.

If you're an advanced diatonic player, and can rattle these off, as Don Les could, then I raise my hat. However, if you struggle with these, then, to be frank, you don't have total command of the instrument.

Also his passages often contain thirds scales, or parts thereof. If you're not sure what I mean by a thirds scale, the following will explain it: http://www.harmonicaacademy.com/categories/20101101_1

So. Starting at the bottom hole, in first position, play a thirds scale over two octaves. Then try it at high speed. Accurate bends are one of the challenges here.

These two basic music elements, thirds scales and arpeggios, were fundamental to Don Les's style, and, quite obviously, he had mastered them. Buddy Greene is another player who seems to have mastered these elements. Howard Levy, of course, no doubt others on the list.

Any good classical player (piano, violin, flute) masters these scales and arpeggios as a matter of course during their training. Many of us diatonic players, myself included, have work to do.

At least, if we want to sound like Don Les.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays