Re: [Harp-L] Cello and harmonica duet - Irish traditional music

Thanks a million to everyone for the kind words on my cello/harmonica video.

It's great to know that there is such an interest in playing cello (and
harmonica, of course) in this music.  The cello is a gorgeous instrument
and very flexible; I can see why it brings up some great memories too.  I
hadn't come across one in a session - I'd say that was really nice.  Thanks
for the names of the players you have given me - I'll check them out.
Indeed it would be great if  there was the same interest in harmonica
playing - I guess we're working on that

The harmonica in that video uses my own note layout that I call "Irish
Fiddle" layout.  It plays in G, D major and all the commonly-used modes
thereof (and C and A major) and I don't have to change harp for common key
changes within Irish sets.  It allows me to bend a lot of notes, get
authentic fiddle ornaments and has nice double stops and phrasing options
 I must finish an article on the tuning and get the advantages out there.

The collaboration wasn't real-time - 2 tracks sent back and forth via
shared folders and emails - with me playing into a sequencer/multi-track
recorder and separate video camera, combining in video software and doing
split screen - relatively old-school, I suppose!

Eugene