Re: [Harp-L] Minor keyed harp 1988? -Orchester

Good images of an Orchester apart here, http://www.modernbluesharmonica.com/board/board_topic/5560960/479473.htm

A quick look through older Hohner catalogues doesn't show the Orchester model in 1953. Looking at a 1978 Hohner USA suggested retail price list I see the Orchestra I and II models, the I being major keys, the II minor. The Orchesters came boxed as such but were in the catalogue as Orchestra.

Going back even further to the 1930's I found the Ironclad harmonicas. Their were several models then, a tremolo with a Knittlinger style comb and then what appears to be a very normal Marine Band sized 10 hole diatonic. The Ironclads look to be the predecessor to the Orchester. Pretty much identical construction.

There were Orchester accordions in the mid 1920's. Somewhere I have a catalogues from that era but I couldn't quickly lay hands on it. I suspect that the Orchesters were available in Germany before they made it to the USA. The one I have in the box is labeled H moll not B minor.

The one other place I should look is in the Martin HÃffner book from Hohner entitled Made in Germany, Played in the USA, but it is currently unavailable to me. Here's the link to that page,

http://www.harmonika-museum.de/index_e.htm

I notice that Harland Crain is the contact person in the USA for purchasing the book, Harland Crain is also a major resource for harmonica history but he doesn't look to have much of a web presence currently.

As always Pat Missin would be a great place to look for anything harmonica, his website is,

http://www.patmissin.com/index1.html

Harmonica books link from Pat is here,

http://www.patmissin.com/ffaq/q28.html

hope this helps, fjm