Re: [Harp-L] Brass bolts and nuts

I still wanna know why y'all use brass nuts and bolts as opposed to my choice of stainless steel.

Actually I prefer to tap the reed plates and use stainless machine screws to retain the new reeds. Why do y'all prefer fiddling with nuts and bolts? When you use a screw, with or without a bolt, the reed's X-Y position needs to be adjusted so that it fits properly into the slot and then stabilized in its final position as you tighten it. (Richard Sleigh's new reed wrench is designed specifically to aid in this process). That's difficult enough without having to hold down a nut too. Or maybe you have three hands? ;-)

Plus, on a chromatic or half-valved diatonic you have to leave a (more or less) flat surface on the opposite side of the reed plate from the reed to accommodate the valve. With a rivet or a screw that protrudes slightly through the reed plate you can punch a hole in the proximal end of the valve to accommodate the nub of the set rivet or screw. Obviously that won't work with a bolt. With a tapped screw you always have the option to either cut the screw to length or to file the nub flush with the reed plate.

[Nota Bene: Someone recently reported difficulty cutting screws. It's easy. I should have chimed in. Unfortunately as Vern pointed out the cutters that are in a wire crimper are too big. For larger diameter screws, those cutters work great. With tiny screws all you have to do is screw a nut on past the location of the cut. When you are done with the cut you can carefully dress the threads with a triangular jeweler's file and then back the nut off. Removing the nut will clean up the threads nicely for resetting the nut or installing the screw into a reed plate. For those of us with only two hands, a vice is handy to hold the nut as you back the screw out. :-) ]

Anyway, can someone explain to me why they choose brass screws/nuts and why they use nuts instead of tapping the reed plate? I don't claim to have the final word with this; there are probably a dozen ways to replace reeds. I've just been using stainless screws into a tapped reed plate for years with fine results on both valved and unvalved diatonics and chromatics.

Thanks,

Michelle