Re: [Harp-L] Strep and Harmonica Cleaning

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Ole Behrendtsen <obehrendtsen@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> That's an important point Mike. If so all you need to do is put them in an
> adequately dry environment for long enough and the bacteria simply won't
> survive....

Prolonged exposure to, or storage in, extremely dry conditions may work
very well in reducing the likelihood of reinfection from a Group A
Streptococcus bacteria (like the kind that causes strep throat) because
that particular group doesn't form spores. BUT, (for those who may not
already know) it won't work for all types of bacteria. When some types
bacteria find themselves in "unfavorable conditions", such as extreme
dryness, **they form spores**, and these spores can survive for many, MANY
years until conditions are again right for the bacterium.

Short of autoclaving (which is how hospitals sterilize such things as
surgical instruments or respiratory therapy equipment) I haven't been able
to come up with a sure-fire way of "sterilizing" a harp after an illness
(especially a wooden combed harp... and/or if valves are in the harp). ....

Just food for thought...