Re: [Harp-L] Paul ButterfieldÂs "Slow down"

Yeah, great show. Marcus Miller on bass too.
WVa Bob

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 7, 2013, at 12:45 PM, <bfrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

...and did the greatest sax solo ever on 'in my own dream'...i used to catch a late night tv show he hosted that was xlnt. had jean luc ponty on one night.
---- MARK BURNESS <markwjburness@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Martin wrote: "It looks like studio
surroundings and there are some really expensive guys involved, Levon H, The
Doctor and Sanborn"

Sanborn was a fixture in Butterfield's band starting in '67 & featuring on "The Resurrection of Pigboy Crabshaw".

________________________________ From: robert mcgraw <harpbob@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: martin oldsberg <martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxx> Cc: harp-l harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, 7 March 2013, 11:48 Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Paul ButterfieldÂs "Slow down"

Wow...yep, this is the real deal.WVa Bob
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 10:06:00 -0800
From: martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxx
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Paul ButterfieldÂs "Slow down"

This has
been highlighted a couple of times before, but I make no apologies: if you like
good stuff this is the stuff you like. (Sound is kinda lousy, though.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4GNci5koi8
Butterfield is really in his prime here, and
the material he recorded around this time, as well as those rather clunky
PBBB albums from the 60Âs, disintegrates in a thin cloud of smoke in comparison. That assured, laid-back stringency
in the way he sets things up in the intro: a few tonic octaves delicately
placed, then a simple riff â the force of that tone! â long pause, and back
to some octaving again. Takes you to school. Nothing really hard to play â when someone else has played it for you.

And even if I donÂt care that much for the
unison soloing at the end (was that a 70Âs thing?), this is someth ing IÂd
really like on a record.
Do you people
with knowledge of PB know what became of this/these session/s? It looks like studio
surroundings and there are some really expensive guys involved, Levon H, The
Doctor and Sanborn; few people would mind them crowding a session.
The YT poster hints at an album with Butter
and Garth H that was canned: was this also an aborted project?

Cheers,
Martin