[Harp-L] How to make your own harmonica valves easily, cheaply, and effectively at home.

Hi folks! I've made a little video about a method I came up with to make your own harmonica valves at home, easily, cheaply, and effectively. Have a watch here: http://youtu.be/CXin4pXiCqE

Here's some additional info on the method:

In this tutorial video, I show you how to make your own harmonica valves at home from easily sourcable materials. I walk you through each step, from making the valves to attaching them to your harp. EDIT: See extra info below.

You'll need:
Gaffers tape (very important to use real gaffers tape, and NOT duct tape)
Scissors (large and small)
Small metal pin, paperclip, or wire tool (to wrap the valves around)

1) I've had one harp with these valves in it for approximately 3 months now. The adhesive is still going strong. This tape is different from other tapes in that regard. The properties of the adhesive used in gaffers is a very important part of why these valves work as well as they do...

2) In the three or so months since I've been using these type of valves I have had not ONE sticking valve, even after an hour of play (including TB and chording, with a reasonable amount of saliva getting into the harp)

3) The ONLY problem I've had with these valves are from not curling them properly (ie., that one or two valves I made curled up away from the plate). That problem is solved by curling them tightly around a piece of wire (like a paperclip) BEFORE applying them. Rolling them from the adhesive edge outwards produces a better curvature, and largely prevents "curl away".

4) The exact product I'm using is JVCC brand Gaffers tape, available at Amazon for a little more than $12: (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QDRRIE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I chose this brand based on the results of this survey: (https://www.findtape.com/product321/FindTape-GAFF-TEST-PACK-Gaffers-Tape-Challenge-Pack.aspx#survey-results), and from other comments around the 'net that suggest it a) has a better adhesive than most (doesn't leave residue), and b) has a better cloth like "hand" to the tape material.

I hope some of you find this interesting/useful! Feel free to e-mail me with any additional questions!

Cheers,

~Isaac (One Harp)