Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Broken CX-12 Comb

In a message dated 3/5/2013 11:48:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
slim@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi Elizabeth -

Now I'm confused, but I don't have time at  the moment to figure out what
exactly you're referring to.

I was referring to the 4 small plastic tabs  that are part of the shell,
that seat the reed assembly properly against the  mouthpiece.

Thanks,

- Slim.

Hi Slim: I think you and I are actually on the same page. The four main
tabs which hold the chromatic INside the shell--fitting into their grooves,
are  what keeps the instrument in alignment and prevents 'airiness', as I
always  thought. WE are discussing the same tabs (I called them flanges first
time  out).

What Ryan showed in his photos (as near as I could discern) were those tabs
 intact, BUT these very tiny little 'teeth' which are molded along the top
edges  of the mouthpiece either bent, broken or snapped off. To my mind
those shouldn't  make a difference for airiness--but I'll defer to someone who
knows far more  about the instrument than me. When you get a chance, pop out
the body of one of  yours and take a look. I hadn't previously focused on
them but believe that's  what he's referring to, so posed my original
question. :)

The fact that the instrument was dropped hard enough to break those
particular little 'teeth' (I'm visualizing everything popping loose perhaps  and
scattering out of the shell onto a hard surface), makes me think a couple of
reeds might have become misaligned--OR, the MP jarred off the comb if it
was made separately and then glued, which still should be an easy enough
'weld'.

OR the entire comb/mp can be replaced for $31 via the link I found BUT with
 the addition of shipping charges.

Best, Elizabeth