Subject: [Harp-L] Broken CX-12 Comb

Hi Ryan:

If I'm reading your post (and the photos) correctly, you're talking about
the tiny little squared off teeth at the top of the photo and not  the 4
bigger flanges which hold the body within the shell?

If so, I've just opened up 3 of my own black CX-12's to see just what those
 'teeth' do since I've never noticed them holding on the mouthpiece before,
 and frankly I still don't think that's their purpose. If you take another
look  (and/or remove the reedplates), the mouthpiece is likely of a piece
with  the comb? At least that's my memory from the last time I disassembled my
 last CX-12 completely.

I think those wee teeth are merely there for the reed plates to tuck under
but the absence of which shouldn't make the chrom much airier since the
screws  are what should still be holding on the reed plates.

Rather than take off my own reed plates to prove or disprove my  theory, I
did a quick online search. Here's a link to Hohner parts:

_http://www.hohnershop.com/cx12-comb/_
(http://www.hohnershop.com/cx12-comb/)

If I'm seeing this photo correctly, the mouthpiece IS all one with the
comb and the entire thing is available for $31 although I don't know if there'd
 be extra costs for shipping. But what it means to me is that it should be
a  relatively easy fix. Tom 'Grizz' Baehr of Slidemeister has had success in
 repairing a broken CX-12 shell (around the slide/button) using ABS Cement,
 molding it to the shape of the shell. I think you might be able to simply
run a  very thin bead of any like to like plastics' glue (or the same ABS
Weld) to fill  any gaps created by the absence of the teeth or to reaffix the
mp to the comb  where it might have separated, and/or shape those tiny
'teeth' if you're  ambitious.

If what you're referring to instead are the bigger flanges which hold the
entire body within the shell, that's a tougher fix since they're  under
great pressure and I'd probably opt to order the new part  instead.

Hope this helps although I still don't comprehend why the body doesn't sit
properly within the shell unless one of the flanges or another part of the
shell  was also damaged?

Elizabeth

"Message: 10