Re: [Harp-L] Tightening mouthpiece screws

On Mar 4, 2013, at 12:22 PM, Music Cal wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a hard time adjusting the mouthpiece screws on my chromatic
> harmonicas.

Depends on the make & moreso the model.

> I find the trial and error method of doing this frustrating.

Sure, welcome to the club.

> Anybody have any words of wisdom for me?

No, but I'll try.

> I would think that getting the balance of tightness between the two screws
> would be important.

Probably the most important issue on chromatics save the necessity for reeds to respond evenly.

> Any advice on how to get this balance right? Should one
> end be tightened first or a bit more than the other end? Etc? Etc?

First of all, some models have a noticeable bow in the mouthpieces. Tightening the screws TOO much makes them 'hump up' in the middle while the ends are nice and sealed. Not enough and you have a depressed sealed center and it's the ENDS that are up in the breeze. The best way is to tighten the LEFT end ' a l m o s t ' tight. The go to the right end and tighten IT. Hold the chromo up to the light and look for light showing through the mouthpiece parts.

What you DO want is the left end to be sealed. Moreso than the right. The right end can handle a little leakage. Why? Because most chromo work will be in the first couple octaves with only occasional work on the upper register(s). Maybe Stevie Wonder likes it up there, but in practicality, most work is done in the first couple octaves..and if anything, you will sometimes run out of bottom end..and have to 8 va UP into a usable range. Especially with a 48 red model.

Now a lot of players complain..usually early on in their chromatic endeavors that they seem to need a LOT of air when activating the high end reeds. This is usually because of what I just said. You DO want the better seal on the lower (left) end. And for exactly the reason I gave. MY general consensus is that if you can't get that little 'extra' in the high end, you certainly don't want the high end to operate easily at the expense of the bottom end. An end you will use more.

In extreme cases, the mouthpiece may be curved TOO much. In such cases, some can be removed. But as always, chromos are a funny animal. They have their little idiosynchrosies. You mess with one thing and something else occurs. In some cases, gasketing the mouthpiece does wonders. Use construction paper. You know, like the kind that children do refridgerator art on. Any questions? Fire away.

smokey-joe