From: Steve Power <stevepower@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, Mar 2, 2013 3:22 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] Fair Trade Music

There has been some discussion on this forum regarding crap pay and conditions
for in the trenches players. I came across an organization in Portland, Oregon
which has had some success in correcting the situation. They are called Fair
Trade Music.  The idea is similar to Fair Trade Coffee and the like.  They get
venues to sign on to a minimum set of standards for pay for which the venue gets
promoted as a Fair Trade Music venue.  They theory is musicians and the public
at large become aware of the situation and a program to do something about it
they will support the participating venues over the non-participating.

As I mentioned, they have had a deal of success in Portland including support
from the local AFM. They are now attempting to get the message nationwide with
other towns getting on board. The pay scale must be adjusted for each local but
the principal is proven.

For further information please go to www.fairtrademusicpdx.org .
LSC