[Harp-L] Subject: Pocketful of Soul, the Movie - in New York City. a Review

Agree with Michael: Thanks, Todd & Marc for your years of devotion to  and
hard work on making Pocketful of Soul. Austin had a BIG audience. Here in NY
 it was smaller, more intimate, and fun. Who knew the Loews here had so
many  theaters inside? (Obviously we're not regular movie attendees). It took
us a  while to find it...small and perfectly sized for 'our' movie.

We got there just in time--(quite a traffic-bucking trip in from our
distant area of Long Island), nearly impossible to get a cab at that time of the
evening so began the hike and lucked onto a taxi which whisked us to the
door JUST in time. Cathy Mallett (whom I know as a member of the Garden State
 Club) checked off names at a table and directed us. An auspicious
beginning (she  did a great job all around). It was very cool to spot Robert
Bonfiglio  attempting to be invisible but with SO much screen time during the Movie
he  was pretty much outed--so ended up doing  an impromptu audience
question-and-answer afterwards along with  Wade Schuman, also featured (of Hazmat
Modine). My first time getting to see  Wade in person--he's a very personable
speaker and all-round nice guy. Sure did  miss Rob Paparozzi though--who
couldn't make it due to illness although  he too is featured in the Movie.

I was a wee bit disappointed not to see onscreen some of the trailer clips
we've been privy to for so long. John Popper's infamous  tongue-in-cheek
comment isn't in the film unless I somehow missed it. I  really do dig his
witty and slightly sarcastic sense of humour. I noted how many  people had
passed on since the beginning of the shoot: Charley Leighton, Gary  Primich,
Chris Michalek, Roger Monroe (from his goofy appearance in the trailer  with
his brother Marv): Chris was the one who brought real tears this time--was
somehow unprepared to see and hear him so intensely up onscreen with his
particularly wonderful diatonic jazz playing...but I thoroughly enjoyed seeing
and hearing SO many wonderful harmonica players I know, many of whom are now
my  friends: Robert, Rob, Sugar, Will, Jason in several of his different
incarnations, Phil Caltabellotta onscreen with the YellowPine trio...it was
all  a great treat. I'd go to see the Movie again in a heartbeat  because I
simply couldn't take it all in with one showing. THEN I'd like it on  DVD
afterwards to be able to pause it, especially during the SPAH  shots.

It took my husband to notice that I'd actually made it into the film too
(at least the back of my head and white shirt did) :) during a pan of either
the  SPAH 2006 lobby or teach-ins later in the film. He thought that was
very  cool...my single claim to fame, hah.

My sole (and minor) disappointment was that we didn't have 'a jam'
afterwards, or go somewhere to play and/or eat together, but a week night isn't
particularly conducive for those who had to get up early the next morning  for
work. Perhaps the next time we could arrange to do this on a  Friday
instead? IF there's a bit more notice I'm sure we could get more people  out to
see the Movie--hopefully in better weather as well. It was windy and  chilly
last night in NYC.

Still: quite a bit of info was shared during the Q&A and  we likely
garnered a few more SPAH (and harp-l) members. New Yorkers/New  Jersey-ites are
really cool, friendly and giving people. Thoroughly  enjoyable experience all
around, especially finally meeting Bill Lifford (I'd  previously had him
confused with another Long Islander) and reconnecting with  Chris Mastakas (who
once posted a down-hill skiing/harp playing video here--a  first).

Elizabeth

PS: To MY mind there are so many really great harmonica players NOT in the
movie to easily fill a Sequel. Steve Baker, Jay Gaunt, Brandon Bailey,
Brendan  Power, Michal Adler, Hendrik Meurkens Hermine Deurloo to name just a
few,  ..all of the South American players--and how about including perhaps a
focus on  the harmonica championships in Trossingen? Perhaps that's something
Todd and  Marc already have in mind? But I'm positive it'll take REAL money
and backing.  From what I remember they began this project on a wing and
prayer, financed  out of their own pockets. When I hear complaints about why
they didn't  approach it 'this' way or 'that' way it grates...since it's so
easy to judge  unless one is spending one's own money and devoting one's own
life to a  particular project.

PPS: I'd be remiss not to mention that Ken Korb who was also in attendance
with his violin-playing partner Laura, and who's played at the Garden State
 Festival, will be appearing tonight at Reece's 1900, 70 North Ocean
Avenue in Patchogue for any Lon Guylanders <G> who might wish to  catch his show.
Here's a link:
http://www.reeses1900pub.com/calendar-live-music.htm