[Harp-L] -35 cents

Robert Hale (his Dukeness) wrote: HARMONICA ON THE ROAD
Several Artists

http://bit.ly/19HfqQU

I haven't been thru all the tunes, but this one looks -35 cents flat by my
tuners! Wouldn't the whole world of harps and studios be calibrated to
440-443, by now?

(Never mind about historical tuning of orchestras... I get that.)

and BTW is "-35 cents flat" a redundancy? <grin>-3  My friends back from the National Fiddle Championship in Weiser, Idaho are all abuzz with the "A 432" movement (which can be Googled). "A 432" is a crypto-scientific notion that the Pythagoreans and other "ancients" understood the harmonic resonance of the universe  and that if we only recalibrated our instruments   to A432(and we know what THAT would mean fellow harpists) worldwide peace and healing would result. What I read seems to conflate temprement with a Pythagorean derived scale, but why be bogged down by facts.  There seems to be something related called itself Solffegio which is promoting similar ideas, and both claim that the early Roman church (apparently when they weren't busy searching for the Da Vinci encoders) promoted A440 as a means of suppressing paganism and that Hitler  declared A440 the official reference pitch of Germany! (as I understand it, A440 came about in the 19th Century to make instruments louder to fill concert halls). Some of this looks too well done to be parody. At any rate, Tab Tabscott,  an old music buddy and long-time radio DJ, claims that all the hit records of the '50's through '80's were recorded at around A432. Tab is a notorious prankster, but I think he's sincere on this one. CONJECTURE ALERT: There were fewer studios in those days, and it may have been a routine part of processing to slightly slow the tape to improve broadcast characteristics (similar to the remixes done to make songs sound better on car radios) or maybe the old tape recorders stretched the tape after the record cycle. Someone knows the answer........  Cheers, emily
Assurance&#174 Wireless
See if You Qualify for the Lifeline Assistance Program. Learn More!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/51cfc18dabdb1418d335bst01vuc