To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:29 PM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Cheap harps

It seems to me that the most important question in this thread is: what's the least expensive harp that meets minimum needs for volume, responsiveness, durability, etc.--an instrument that will not hinder either a beginner or a pro?

The answer depends on the player, of course. High-end players need high-end instruments; concert pianists do not practice or perform on anything less than a well-tuned concert piano. In terms of harmonicas, Howard levy plays very technically demanding stuff, and I'm sure he practices as well as performs on high-end instruments; it probably doesn't matter much what make or model Bob Dylan is playing on, so long as it's in tune, given that he doesn't put a lot of demands on the instrument.

That said, I agree with several other posters: a Lee Oskar, Special 20, or lower-end Suzuki harp is a solid choice for a beginner. The slightly greater expense is more than justified by better playability, without which any player will be unable to progress. It's terribly frustrating to play lame instruments, and the lowest-priced instruments are thoroughly lame. But I definitely would not advise a beginner to buy more-expensive instruments until she knows that harmonica is going to play a continuing role in her life.

Players who've already progressed beyond the beginner stage, who know that their relationship with the harmonica is going to last a long time, should get the best instruments they can afford. And of course, instruments in every price range are a lot better now than they were even ten years ago, and FAR better than they were 20 to 30 years ago.

regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick