Re: [Harp-L] Spiral (Circular Tuned) Harps

Hi Emily (hey Gary and others too!)

Thanks for your fascinating explanation.  I'm always interested in knowing
tunes that demonstrate particular mode usage and your post was very
informative.  I don't know much about Appalachian music - they were great
examples.

We have similar things in Irish music but when I looked at a few of the
particular Irish tunes, they appeared to be in G to start with but resolve
to D major using a C# leading tone, not really exhibiting a Lydian feel.
 There are may be some real Lydian tunes in Irish music but I'll have to
find them - it seems to be more common in Scandinavian folk music.  There
may be similar historical reasons for the C and C# in those particular
Irish tunes (as opposed in the minor tunes switching between Dorian and
Aeolian) but I don't want to speculate on the origin of individual tunes
because the history is hard to trace (and I'm not a musicologist).

Thanks!
Eugene