Re: [Harp-L] Why Musicians Hate Harp Players

I am mostly just going to echo what Richard Hunter is saying.  I consider
myself to be a rock player.  I can play other styles, but my favorite is
rock.  The most fun I ever had gigging was playing in a cover band that
treated harp like lead guitar.  I also sing, so it is generally impossible
for me to play harp *all* the time.  Since SPAH 2010, I've had a huge
change in my day job and two more children - my days of commuting an hour
and a half for rehearsals and such are over.  Mostly I sit at home with a
full harp rig, PA, lights, etc., waiting for the chance to play in a BAND
locally...duo stuff is available, but I miss the full band stuff.

At any rate, the live music scene has changed over the last few years, and
if the average harp player won't adapt, then there is going to be less and
less room for paying gigs.  Being a blues harmonica player isn't as easy as
it used to be (from a paying gig standpoint), but that is generally, even
in the world of musicians, what harmonica is associated with.  I blame the
bulk of this on harmonica players themselves.    Blues Traveler is playing
a few blocks from my house at the end of the month...Richard's mention of
Magic Dick made me think of John Popper.  He is a fantastic rhythm player
in both technique and gear.  I have never heard ANYONE in any genre with
such a unique rhythm harmonica style that is extremely sophisticated and
hard to replicate.  Please don't mistake that for a commentary on his lead
playing.  Actually, like it or not, his style fits rock music extremely
well.  He is NOT playing blues harp over rock tunes.

There is a ton the harp can offer for rhythm playing.  People need to stop
thinking straight I-IV-V chording.  Learn about intervals, octaves, triads,
power chords...Throw in a few effect pedals and you can cover organ parts,
etc.  I had a pick up gig last summer in a country rock band.  They wanted
a fiddle player but couldn't find one.  I had to hound and hound to get an
audition.  When I did, I was hired after the first song.  The band leader
insisted I use a rotary effect in lieu of an organ player, auto wah, long
delays, all sorts of fun stuff.  I played bag pipe parts, synth parts...it
was great!  It fit the music extremely well and I didn't even have to sing
back ups.  They did one non-country tune to close - Livin' on a Prayer...I
was the one playing the Whoa part at the beginning (Line 6 Growler effect).

The biggest enemy to the harp is the harp player.  If the issue is people
don't want to pay us to play limited solos over blues progressions, then
find something to do other than blues riff over entire songs.  While things
like not playing, learning to sing, playing hand percussion or other
instruments is GREAT, don't limit the instrument!