To: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 3:26 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Why Musicians Hate Harp Players

This is a great topic and one that is so much better than endless
discussion on combs.

Musicians dislike harp players because one extra body in a band takes away
from the cut essentially reducing by 20-25% the amount the other players
get in a 5-piece vs. a 4-piece.

The harp is a lead instrument which is a bit counter-intuitive because it
is a lead instrument that really shouldn't lead on every song and every
verse.  Also, harmonica players are notorious for playing over vocals. The
guitar players are guilty of the same infractions but they get a lot more
grace because they do serve a purpose when they are not playing a lead and
that's to help keep the rhythm. Plus a lot of them sing, too.

Sunglasses and a fedora can only take us so far.  As a general practice,
unless we can play endless creative licks like His Ricciness.. we should
probably play less and leave them asking for more..

Hats off though to Mr. Greg H. of Blows Me Away who I believe has served
the harp playing community well by providing good products that help us
monitor our sound which is another sticking point between us and the
musical community.

By no means a gigging expert here, but rather one whose felt the sting ...

*Greg Jones*
*16:23 Custom Harmonicas*
*(210) 445-6600*
1623customharmonicas.com