Re: [Harp-L] Why Musicians Hate Harp Players

I'm a 40+ yr. veteran of the harmonica, I had classical training on trumpet and voice. After dropping out of the University band program I took up harmonica then guitar, then pedal steel. I currently have a Blues band of 15+ yrs,  I sing play harp, guitar, and slide. All of this to say I have learned over the years to play tastefully and with an ensemble sound. A friend of mine played drums for Texas Johnny Brown for several years and I'd sit in with them whenever I visited in Houston. (Johnny Brown was Bobby "Blue" Bland's guitarist and wrote several of his big hit's.) Johnny commented several times that he loved the way I played because I knew whens to play and whens not to play! I can work well with a sax or horn section too because of my training and ear. You have to listen to the others in the band and blend, not stick out! So, for all you novice harp players out there my advice is...LISTEN!!!           John Simmons, Tyler, TX

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Jones <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Jun 17, 2013 2:27 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] Why Musicians Hate Harp Players

This is a great topic and one that is so much better than endless
iscussion on combs.
Musicians dislike harp players because one extra body in a band takes away
rom the cut essentially reducing by 20-25% the amount the other players
et in a 5-piece vs. a 4-piece.
The harp is a lead instrument which is a bit counter-intuitive because it
s a lead instrument that really shouldn't lead on every song and every
erse.  Also, harmonica players are notorious for playing over vocals. The
uitar players are guilty of the same infractions but they get a lot more
race because they do serve a purpose when they are not playing a lead and
hat's to help keep the rhythm. Plus a lot of them sing, too.
Sunglasses and a fedora can only take us so far.  As a general practice,
nless we can play endless creative licks like His Ricciness.. we should
robably play less and leave them asking for more..
Hats off though to Mr. Greg H. of Blows Me Away who I believe has served
he harp playing community well by providing good products that help us
onitor our sound which is another sticking point between us and the
usical community.
By no means a gigging expert here, but rather one whose felt the sting ...
*Greg Jones*
16:23 Custom Harmonicas*
(210) 445-6600*
623customharmonicas.com