Re: [Harp-L] Standard Diatonic v. Spiral

I like spiral, but seldom play a harmonica that is pure spiral.
I certainly enjoy having all the notes of a major scale on a harmonica.

On Jun 12, 2013, at 11:17 PM, Robert Hale <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> STANDARD DIATONIC
> For playing the historical sounds of the American blues catalog.
>
> SPIRAL
> For everything else, and SOME of the blues. They are much more fun to get
> around on [especially minor pentatonic] than minors in 3, 4, and 5th
> position. [Take a free form improvisation on Van Morrison's Moondance! All
> over the harp. No corners, log jams, or awkward spots]
>
> I think Lee Oskar chose wisely to introduce alternate tunings

Yes, it was the Lee Oscar Melody maker that got me started on alternate tunings.
I still recommend them for those who want to get their feet wet in this area, but I don't prefer the Oskar harmonicas.

I am working for Suzuki US as their harmonica repair technician, and so of course recommend their harmonicas.