Re: [Harp-L] 3D printers v harps

Several years ago, I had some HFC mouthpieces made on a 3D printer.  It applied layers of hot plastic like squeezing toothpaste out of a tiny tube or like decorating a cake.  They were very strong, accurate and stable.

However, they were unusable for two reasons:

1. The surface felt rough to the lips. Because they are digital, they have roughness related to pixel size.
2. They were so porous that they very quickly loaded up with saliva and turned brown.

It is possible that newer processes produce smoother and less porous parts.     Get a sample and check for these problems before committing to print harmonica parts.

For a while, I made HFC combs and mouthpieces by room-temperature molding of urethane in silicone rubber molds.  These parts required post molding baking and lapping for flatness and stability.  However, they were very smooth, strong, and free of pores.

Chris uses CNC to make mouthpieces and combs.  The parts are great but the process is time-consuming and requires an expensive machine.

Every process seems to have different characteristic advantages and drawbacks.

I gave some thought to making cutting reeds and plate from a single piece of brass  by means of the router machine used for printed-circuit boards but didn't make any chips.

Vern