Re: [Harp-L] plastic comb vs wood ?

I imagine that few debates have a) lasted longer, b) resolved less, or c) carried less potential for meaningful change in the world than these debates over comb materials.

If by dint of some amazing advance in the science of audio sampling and interpretation, those responsible for this debate could finally document a verifiable difference in the sound of wood, plastic, metal, and/or volcanic rock combs, then what?  Is it conceivable that the result of any test of comb materials would convince anyone on this list that they should only use harps with wood/plastic/metal/whatever combs from that point on?

One thing I know for sure: the comb material doesn't make enough difference in the tone for me to care about it.  The impact is infinitesimal compared to, say, changing the microphone.  If I'm not satisfied with my tone, swapping out the comb is going to be dead last or next to it on my list of stuff to change.

Thanks and regard, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick