Re: [Harp-L] plastic comb vs wood ?

I am unable to attend SPA this year so I'll miss all of the fun.

This will be the fourth such test following those at SPAH97, Buckeye98, and SPAH10.

At SPAH97, we had a great variety of comb materials including pear wood, balsa wood, ABS plastic, plastic foam, brass, lead, concrete, and titanium.

At Buckeye98 and at SPAH10, the same set of reed plates were used on a smaller variety of comb materials that included wood, bamboo, abs, and brass. At Buckeye10, the covers and reed plates were attached to the jaws of vise-grip pliers for a quick change.  At SPAH10, a technician re-assembled the same harp on different combs.

If your purpose is to run an objective comparison of comb materials,  here are some suggestions based on experience gained in the previous tests:

1. Minimize the number of extraneous variables.  Use only one player or better yet, a machine to blow the harps.  I have made such a machine and can help you make one.

2. Have a large number of short plays, at least 50 and maybe as many as 100.  This will guard against basing a conclusion on coincidence.

3. Allow more than 1 hour.  This type of test is very time-consuming.

4. Videotape the proceedings.

5. You could have a "training session" in which you announce the material being played.  Then randomly switch the reed plates among the 4 harps for the blind test.

I suggest that you have 4 harps, two with wood combs and two with brass combs.  Believers think that they can attribute "warm" and "bright" tones to these materials.   Select the harp for each play by flipping two coins. (HH, TT, HT, and TH give four combinations.)

I predict the following outcomes:

- If the listeners must depend on their ears alone to know the materials, no one will be able to demonstrate the ability to reliably identify them. (With two materials, random guessing will produce a 50% success rate.)

 After the test, believers will complain about the conditions of the test.  In the past, such complaints have included:

- Too much noise from the hallway,
- Too much time between plays.
- Harps too leaky.
- Too many different types of material.
- Casual observers who do not record and submit their choices for scoring will state that they could hear differences.
- There will be statements that the results are inconclusive, that the matter cannot be settled by objective testing, and that the debate will endure forever.

I'll be sorry to miss it. I eagerly anticipate hearing/seeing the workshop on media and wish you every success.

Vern