RE: [Harp-L] Asking for Song suggestions for Rack performances

Thanks for the replies. I am a veteran harp player and play decent guitar as well as sing. I am just seeking song suggestions from other harp / rack players that are tried and true that work well with the harp. I read sheet music, read & write number charts, have had years of theory (had to take theory on guitar because back then no one related theory to the harmonica) and already have my own little style of setting up "cheat sheets". I have never had much need for harp tab as my ear is pretty good and I do a lot of improvising but if a song has a real signature harp lick or solo I try to stick to what people expect to hear.
Buck

To: boogalloo@xxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Asking for Song suggestions for Rack performances
From: philharpn@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 23:47:27 -0400

The cheapest way to get a large number of songs is by purchasing a fake book. If you can read music, you are good to go. Put the fake book on your music stand, your harp in the rack and start strumming chords as you play the melody with your harp.

If you can't read music, you will have to make your own harmonica tab. It takes a few more steps -- and takes about 10-15 minutes a song .

 After you buy the fake book -- they are available in all genres these days -- check the web for harp layouts for diatonic harmonicas. Lee Oskar has them. so does coast2coast. The note layouts are free on the Internet.

You are better off buying a fake book and doing it yourself -- then you will know it is right.

Charlie Musselwhite once wrote the tab out for a trumpet exercise book he bought in a second hand store. The unintended outcome was that after a while he didn't need his "cheat sheet" to write the numbers for each note --he had accidentally taught himself how to read music.

hope this helps

Phil

ps my latest fake book purchase is due at my mailbox in Sept.