[Harp-L] Re: Micing a harp amp into the PA

I'm surprised that several respondents have suggested the Shure SM57 and the Sennheiser MD609 are comparable microphones, the main advantage of the MD609 being its "drapability" (nice one Gary) rather than its sound. Drapability is certainly very handy as it allows you to dispense with a stand, but the two mics sound pretty different to me. If you get the chance to compare them, try speaking into each using the same EQ settings and see what you think.

To my ears the Sennheiser has more bass and a warmer midrange. I find the SM57 more hard edged in the mids, which is great for picking up guitar amps but not necessarily so desirable for amplified harmonica, though this depends on how you want to sound.

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.european-music-workshops.com
www.harmonica-masters.de