Re: [Harp-L] tuning stainless steel reeds

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM, <captron100@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> How do u keep the solder from running off the reed?

I am tuning several Natural Minors into Spirals for a student. Starting
with plates removed from comb, here's my method:

   1. place a shim under the reed to be soldered
   2. gently scratch a few marks on the tip where solder will go
   3. lay the heated iron against the reed a moment
   4. briefly touch the silver solder to the (now) heated reed and iron
   5. take the solder away, then the iron

Stay too long, and let too much solder collect, and it will run over. Your
goal is to leave a neat little bead of solder on the tip of the reed.

I made up a master chart for the semitone changes needed for each reed, to
go from natural minor to spiral. Just tell me what plates you are starting
with (standard, Melody maker, minor, etc) and I'll send the right one.

In my scheme, C plates would play in 2nd position G, and become F Spiral,
named for the 2 hole Draw.

Robert Hale
Spiral Advocate
Learn Harmonica by Webcam