[Harp-L] Burning the midnight oil

Ha! I don't know why harp players assume techs work like elves around the clock, at least on harps.
If you don't step away from it once in a while it can consume and eventually burn you out.

I've been in manufacturing since I was 18. I'm 55 now. While I pull a few business senses from my day job
there is one that I won't and that is to be worked to death. My profession views work that comes in in terms of units of production. The more the units per day the more money is made. The larger the lab the more that idea is honed into the employees. I've quit many labs because of that work ethic but that is how most industries work. I see myself as a craftsman not a piece worker who is judged on the amount of work produced and not the quality of product I can produce.

My work day starts 3:55am. I clock in at 5am and clock out at 3pm with only a 20 minute break in a 10 hour period. When I get home I'm dead ass tired. I either write emails, make supper or take a nap. By around 5:30pm I'm working on harps till about 7:30 pm. 8pm I'm in bed ready to get a jump on tomorrow. Monday evening I do nothing and I mean nothing other then relax. My harp business work week starts Tues. evening and ends Sunday evening.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday are my catch up days since I have those 3 days off. While you might not find me working until midnight you can catch me working on harps around 5:30-6am because I've grown use to being up so early.

Yes, nobody is getting rich working on harps. The best you can hope for is lower middle income doing it full time. We all have side professions whether as full time musicians, teachers or other professions. Some of us are like drummers. Our wives or girl friends support us. Since my wife has the art degree I support her. haha.

Being in business for 15 years now doesn't mean I'm busy as hell. It means I've learned how to pace myself to be here for the long haul. While some guys email me that they have 10 or more chromatics that need repaired I will only accept 2 at a time. I'm not afraid if I don't take all the harps at once some other tech will get the work. I'm happy to share the work. I want to have a life. I want other harp players to get their repairs and restorations back in reasonable time.
It's a plan that served me well and I've developed long term friendships with guys I've done repeat work for. Every customer is a name, not a unit of production sitting on the shelf.

My business ethic: treat all levels of players equal when working on their harps, realize my limitations, realize my customers spending limitations, always treat it as a craft and never let making money be a driving business force or decision maker.

Take Care
Mike
www.harmonicarepair.com