[Harp-L] 4th position tips

I remember the topic but the original question had to do with tips for playing in 4th position. I don't recall any tips.

Or is the argument that any song  can be played in 4th position? So there really is no repertoire devoted to 4th position?

The discussion got bogged down with semantics. One or two tunes were mentioned but I can't remember them. I think somebody said Dylan used 4th position.

My original statement was that positions are determined by the Circle of Fifths and that the CIrcle of Fifths rotate clockwise by fifths, with  each key adding a sharp. The Circle of Fifths is based on major keys (and their relative minors).

Harmonica positions are based on  the Circle of Fifths -- but are not limited to major, minor keys or modes. But some positions lend themselves to minor keys.

Turns out that 4th position provides all the necessary notes needed to play A minor. Is 4th position A minor by definition? No. 4th position doesn't equal A minor (it may seem to) it is A major. No more than 3rd position is limited to D dorian or 2nd position is limited to G mixolydian.

 Back in the day, anybody who played 4th position played a song in a minor key like Summertime.

That was before the popularity of overblows. Now anybody can play overblows and thus can play any of the 12 notes in any given scale or mode or whatever. The XB40 and the SUB30 and half-valved diatonics (as well as chromatics (solo & richter) also put any note at any time within easy reach.