[Harp-L] Witty Analogy

That's what I'll name my band. Witty Analogy.

Anyweigh, I was going to weigh in on the discussion of chromatics and diatonics.

It's like in surfing. There are different kinds of surfers; the hot-doggers, the smooth and stylish, the beach bums who can't really surf but like to be seen as a surfer dude. Then there are the "real guys", the big wave riders. The guys people seem to admire, even themselves at times ; ) .

I look at chromatic players as "the big boys", the "professionals", though I highly appreciate and enjoy playing diatonics. Those are the guys with "all the notes", and not as much "trickery" needed to reach them. When they play, people listen, and admire.

I really enjoy hot-dogging it on a diatonic harp.

But I've got two chroms laying around that I inherited from my father-in-law when he passed away. I've laid into them some, and especially after hearing Rod Piazza out in Long Beach, Cali, back in '98 or so at a "blues harp battle of the bands". That was a revelation. I'd never heard the tonality you can achieve on an amplified chromo. It was just such a "big" sound.

But I've never really believed that size matters, so I still do a lot of diddling around on my little "diatonic". (Hardy har har)

But seriously.

I think after all the discussion, and the clips, I'm breaking out the chromos. I've quite a few diatonics that are beginning to go flat in the 4th hole, so it's time, if only to avoid having to lay out cash for three or four reedplate kits (or Zeus forbid, learn how to fix a reed).

Thanks for being here (virtual "here") through all the years, "harp people". Long live "the L".