Re: [Harp-L] 4th tips

Winslow is correct about Michael being right.

Not only that, but the below definition is the most focused and concise explanation I've seen to date regarding this harmonica confusion.

-----Original Message-----
From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Jun 2, 2013 1:29 am
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] 4th tips

Michael is right.

Positions on the harmonica are about one thing and ONLY one thing:

That one thing is the relationship between two keys:

-- The key the harmonica is tuned to

-- The key you're playing it in.

Specific types of scales (major, minor, etc.) are not part of that definition.
Key relationships are the only defining elements in harmonica positions.

Now, it turns out that by default, fourth position on a major-tuned harp
produces a natural minor scale. But that's not a defining feature of the
position. You can create any scale that uses the twelve-tone scale by
alternating the pitches of reeds through various bending techniques, or, on the
chromatic harmonica, by using the slide.

So in fourth position, you could play a major scale. Or a Mixolydian scale. Or
whatever scale you like.

Let me pose a question. If positions correspond with scales defined by the given
notes on a harmonica, then what scale does 11th position (Bb on a C harp)
correspond with? (You see why identifying a position with the given notes of the
harp is problematic.)

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
Resident Harmonica Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance