Re: [Harp-L] 2013 Ohio State Harmonica Championship

Larry Sandy wrote:
<Great playing Charlie.  I love minors and especially chording in minors.  Richard Hunter is a huge influence in this arena and <this song reminds me so much of his Widows Walk piece.  I was fortunate to sit in on his Minor class in Williamsburg's Virginia <Harmonicafest a couple years ago and learn lots of his techniques and songs ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5-9MbZ1QK4 ).  His <CD has seen a lot of spins since then.  Keep at it, great to hear you perform again.

Thanks for the plug Larry, much appreciated.

Natural minor harps sound so good on so many pieces, and the chording is wonderful--it's pretty damn hard to play a chord on a Natural Minor harp that doesn't sound good.  Any player that doesn't have an NM in their kit should really make it the top priority for their next purchase. Most of the licks and phrases that a player uses on a standard-tuned instrument translate easily to minor-keyed phrases on an NM, so the learning curve is short.  I mean, why not?

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick