[Harp-L] Re: Taj Mahal

I was very pleased to read Richard Hunter's praise of Taj Mahal.   Taj's
harp playing rarely gets mentioned here on Harp-L and that's a shame.  I
consider him one of the greatest harp players of the 60's and he continues
to play wonderfully.   I rank him right up there with Alan "BlindOwl"
Wilson, Paul Butterfield and Jack Bruce as my biggest influences.  I've
been privileged to count him as my friend for many years.   But its rare to
see him play much harp these days. One of those rare occasions happened at
the Hollywood Bowl a few weeks ago with the "Tuba Band" that Richard
referred to.   Taj has about 4 or 5 different bands, but most frequently he
tours with the "Taj Mahal Trio", with Billy Rich on bass (Billy was also
Butterfield's bassist in the "Better Days" band!) and Kester Smith on
drums.   In that configuration Taj almost never plays harp.

Taj is one of those players who has a unique, immediately identifiable
sound.  I wish I could emulate it.  (He's even tried to help me in that
regard.) But his tone, rhythm, attack and musical intelligence is something
that few, if any, can begin to approach. He doesn't play rapidly,  he
doesn't play long phrases, he doesn't overblow, sometimes he's not even
very precise.  But man, does he always sound great and leaving you wishing
for more.