[Harp-L] Electro-Voice RE320 microphone to reduce proximity effect?

Has anyone used an Electro-Voice RE320 mic in a live band? (on a mic stand) It is same housing as the old RE20, but guts are different.  RE320 is brighter and louder than RE20.

Both mics have EV's "variable-D" to reduce proximity effect, so the tone remains the same when you move close or further from the mic.

Lets say I am using a mic with proximity effect, and I want to switch between a D harp and a LowD harp --- the high harp is louder so I back off the mic and it gets thinner, the low harp is quieter so I move closer and it gets muddy. Just the opposite of what I want. I don't have a sound guy/gal to compensate on the board.

Actually the much smaller RE10, 11, 15, 16  all have the "variable-D" but of course it doesn't work if you cup the mic.

thanks----Dave