Re: [Harp-L] First try at tuning (higher).. Advice?

>From your post I'm not sure if this is to play around with a different
tuning or to prepare a tuning you like, for gig playing. In any case to try
it out, if the 9 draw isn't "that" important at this time, I'd swap the
draw reed plate with something 3 semitones higher so that you're dropping
the pitch of the lower draw reeds rather than raising the upper ones.

I'd then drop the pitch of the lower reeds by weighting the reed tips with
poster putty or solder. Having to drop the lower reeds by 4 semitones means
a LOT of poster putty. My main practice one has 3 semitones of pitch
lowering poster putty. Lower the 9 draw to a pitch that make it less
problematic if played.

I've done a lot of retuning by lowering pitches using poster putty.
Currently my most played harp has lots of putty on most reeds. I absolutely
agree with Gary here in terms of raising the pitch of the higher pitched
reeds.

In terms of keys to swap plates, consider a G top/blow reed plate with a Bb
lower/draw plate. Or an A top/blow with a C bottom/draw. Then lower the
pitches on the lower draw reeds accordingly.