[Harp-L] spam urls in posts

What you are seeing are compromised e-mail accounts of regular
subscribers.  Most of this is coming from Yahoo accounts.  I suspect that
the number of Yahoo accounts subscribed coupled with the length of time
people have had the accounts contributes to this problem.  The posts
aren't being sent by the legitimate owners of the accounts.  Another
entity has guessed the account password and is now using the account to
send mail in the user's name.  My advice to a compromised account owner is
change your password immediately.

Why you're seeing these most recent posts is the strategy of the spam-bots
has evolved.  Previously I caught pretty much all of them.  From any one
address you won't ever see more than one or 2 because I moderate the
account as soon as I see the posts come through.  By the way I will not
un=moderate the account unless you ask me to and the problem is known to
be solved.  I currently have hundreds of these accounts and even though it
seems polite to write it would take way too much admin time for very
little purpose.

I have already instituted a crude change that will stop this latest crime
wave by the bots.  I expect you will not see anymore hey or hi posts with
urls exhorting you to work from home and make thousands of dollars a week.

As always don't open url's you mistrust.  Remember this is an arms race
and you the individual account holder need to be responsible for keeping
your e-mail account secure.  Don't use passwords like password or abc123
or your name etc.  Never re-use passwords and please please please do no
change your harp-l subscriber password to match your e-mail password.
It's ok to have a weak easy subscriber password because we use multifactor
identification just don't re-use that password for anything that matters.
thanks, harp-l-listowner