[Harp-L] Pub session in Sligo

Yes Tony. that is Rick Epping alright. Like the Normans when they invaded
Ireland Rick has "become more Irish than the Irish themselves"

As for the oversized harmonica, this may be one of Rick Epping's  "Hot Rod
Harps" which I christened the "Bunker Buster". Rick builds these harmonicas
with Octave tuning on Hohner Chromatic Harmonica "chassis". He found this
'weapon' to be a necessary 'nuclear deterrent' when playing in Irish trad
sessions in competition with banjos and button boxes because harp amps are
considered "bad form" in Irish Trad sessions. Maybe with a bit of luck some
manufacturer may decide to produce and sell such harmonicas as was the case
with Rick's other design the XB 40.

As for the other players in the session: The box player looks like Patsy
Hanley, an Engineer who was a former  All Ireland Two Row Champion. I could
only see the top of the fiddler's head, but he might be Seamie O'Dowd who is
also an accomplished guitar player and who is one of the group "The
Unwanted" with Rick Epping and Cathy Jordan.

This clip has made me decide that a trip up to Sligo to the Shoot the Crows
pub would be a worthwhile expedition. It has also alerted me to a Trad
website that might be worth a look.

Rick Epping has run the Harmonica classes/workshops at the Willie Clancy
Summer School in conjunction with Mick Kinsella for the past few years. They
cater for all levels and the workshops are a real treat for anyone who
aspires to play the "Irish Harp".

Beannachtai

Aongus Mac Cana