Re: [Harp-L] Hohner Hoodoo

Timothy Kane <hawkeyekane@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Bulletizers are a sound investment. I'm with Jerry on ring mics and

> the 520DX. Lots of better choices out there. However, I have heard

> good things about the Hohner Hoodoo amp.

I haven't heard anything good about the Hohner Hoodoo amp.  I've been told that this amp includes a built-in distortion circuit, which is absolutely useless for a 5W tube amp, and degrades the player's ability to control tone.

The Hoodoo amp is priced at a little over $200, which puts it squarely in the range occupied by a half-dozen other 5W tube amps (e.g. Fender Champ, Epiphone Galaxy, THD Special 6), ANY of which is a better buy than the Hoodoo Amp.

It's disappointing to see Hohner get it wrong with a product aimed at harp players, which is supposed to be their sweet spot. It's also puzzling, given that making a decent 5W tube amp is apparently a trick that anyone else can master.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick