[Harp-L] Thanks Richard

Iâm on Richard Sleighâs e-mail list, and recently received one called âFace Timeâ. One of the things he mentioned was watching a Kim Wilson interview where he talks about his early years.
It is a very interesting combination of hanging out with great musicians, jumping into playing situations even though he was not really ready, and treating the people he admired with a lot of respect. That and spending face time with the harmonica.
Well, I had the chance Sunday to do just that.
The local library has a monthly free music program that brings in really good talent ( Had Patrick Hazell a couple of months ago ). They had an Celtic-Americana duo called Switchback last Sunday, so off the wife and I went. They were really good, with the guitarist/mandolinist having taken lessons from the late great Jethro Burns. I play a little mando, so we go to talking during their break.
Told him I was a harmonica player mostly. He asked me if I had one with me ( heck, I want one in my pocket when I die, just in case! ). We decided on Kesh Jig in C, which was Ist position on my G harp.
As Iâm waiting to be called up, the guitarist asks me in front of everybody if I want to come up on one of their original songs in C that I DONâT know, and have never heard. Normally, Iâd freeze and say no, but thatâs when I remembered Richardâs e-mail. Long story short, even though the song had a lot more than 3 chords, I did okay, and they enjoyed it. Iâve made a couple of musical friends, got to play at a place that doesânt hire locals, and it got me to realize that if I knew my harmonica better, Iâd know what to play on those odd chords they were playing. So now Iâm spending âface timeâ learning chord tones in 1st position. Already had some 1st position exercises from Sandy Weltman, but now I understand the importance of âknowingâ, not just playing.
  Thanks Richard.