[Harp-L] a couple of Chicago harmonica events

   I noticed that classical and jazz pianist Anthony Molinaro is doing a CD
release concert tonight at Loyola University in Chicago.  I believe the CD
is his rendition of Beatles tunes and Howard Levy is listed as a special
guest at the concert.  Those of us who own the CD Anthony and Howard did
together a few years ago know what a terrific pairing this is.
   I also noticed that the Siskel Film Center in downtown Chicago is
showing "The Little Fugitive" (1953) movie five times in February.  This
small budget film, besides influencing  filmmakers Francois Truffaut and
John Cassavetes, has a harmonica soundtrack by the legendary chromatic
player Eddie Manson.
   I love movie soundtracks by harmonica players and there aren't many.  I
know we did this thread a few years ago, but a few of my favorites include:

"Genevieve" (1954)  They couldn't afford to pay Larry Adler a flat fee for
the score so he took a percentage of the movie.  It became a hit and he
sent his kids through college with the proceeds.
"Quackser Fortune Has A Cousin in the Bronx" (1970)  Wonderful art house
flick with Gene Hackman and Margot Kidder.  First time I ever heard a great
chromatic player in action.  I believe the player was Tommy Reilly.
 "Chilly Scenes of Winter Past" (1979)  Basically, solo Toots Thielemans.
This was a "chick flick" that my girlfriend at the time wanted to see and
she was amazed that I could name the harmonica player in the background of
the movie.  We stuck around for the credits and, sure enough, there he
was.  To a harmonica player though, Toots is easy to identify.  Even easier
in 1979, when there weren't a lot of players working in that style.

   These are pretty ancient flicks.  Aren't we about due for a great
current harmonica movie soundtrack?

Mick Zaklan